Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

What Brings Me Down?




Throwback Thursday: What Brings Me Down - Thursday 5/18
Today prompt revisits a subject we wrote about in 2014. May is Mental Health Month (in the US) so now seems like a great time to explore the emotional side of living with, or caring for someone with, diabetes. What things can make dealing with diabetes an emotional issue for you and / or your loved one, and how do you cope?



I participated in Blog Week when we first discussed this two years ago so I went and had a look at what I wrote. I would say that pretty much exactly the same thing that got me down then can get me down now. Here it is....


Fortunately, not too much.  Yes, we have a lot of up's and downs - pun and no pun intended.  I am not going to say it is easy.  It is not.

My son was diagnosed at 20 months old, so he does not know a life before diabetes.  In some ways, I feel this is advantageous.  There is no longing for the days of yore when there were no finger checks or sick days.  I recall those first carefree 20 months of his life, but do not dwell on it.  I can't.  I have to keep looking forward.  Or at least live in the moment for my son's sake.

It is my job as a parent to teach him to grow up with this disease and manage it.  It is important for him to know that there are no limitations on what he can or cannot do.  If I get depressed about this, it will not help him.

I would say my most challenging times are when we've had too many consecutive highs and we can't always immediately resolve it.  Getting sick, bent cannula, or something else.  I try to learn and move on. (And ironically, that happened last night after pizza for dinner! Thankfully I am not a V-Blogger so you miss the dark circles under my eyes :-) )

There are also times when he is really sick, and I cannot make it go away.  I wish it were me instead of him. However, again, we cannot dwell on these.  If you do, it will get you down.

This disease is a lifetime.  What gets us down this year will be different next year, and again different in five years.  It will change with different phases of life. Although over the last two years, not much has changed in regards to how I feel about this.

We are challenged by diabetes almost daily, but I try to not let it get me down.  I know my son will face many emotional challenges with it as he grows up, but as his caretaker I feel it is important to stay positive.

The only thing we can do is to try and control it the best we can and not let it control us.  We are so blessed that a diabetic can do everything that a non-diabetic can.


I closed this two years ago by saying that when I have those moments when I think I want to slip into down mode, I always think there could be worse things to deal with.  Just read the news.  It's more than enough.  

Some of the headlines I cited that day were different - #Bringbackourgirls was one of them. I was so happy to read that some girls were released earlier this month - after two years. Those two years must have felt like a lifetime. There was a mine explosion in Turkey at that time. Today in the headlines we see Venezuela, North Korea, chaos in the US, Syria is still in the news and there are even more refugees than before. 

From time to time I meet people from these countries. I met a woman from Venezuela last week. I told her I was sorry to read about what is happening in her country. Her eyes began to fill with tears. Thinking of the challenges that many have faced, and continue to face...That's what gets me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment